Friday, November 4, 2011

Beware the Boogieman, Phish.

Hi, All.

A couple of days ago you most likely received an email supposedly from me.  My address book was hijacked.  I believe it happened because I had a weak password for my email provider.  Sorry for the inconvenience to you. 

Very likely you recognized it as suspect and not something I would send.  However, there is a lesson here for all of us.  All of those who use our computers need to know the importance of strong passwords as well as to be alert to bogus emails.  It is good to be suspicious of any email, no matter who we think is sending it. 

I've spent a lot of time cleaning up this mess.  I have other things to do as we all do without something like this. 

I also suspected FaceBook issues which may or may not have contributed.  Keep in mind, I have security software.  A weekly security check runs automatically at a scheduled time. In my view, essential responsibility.

The bottom line, however, is a strong password and vigilance for spam and phishing.  We've probably all received similar emails before and don't open them.  Others in our families may not be aware, the youngers and the olders.  Age is no guarantee to understanding and awareness.  Dennis Bodily used to say, "Don't be dumb!"

So, don't be lazy as I was,  check your passwords, be sure they are strong, i.e., include uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols where allowed (some sites don't allow symbols). 

Your password for your email account and service provider should be unique to it alone, i.e., don't use it also for financial accounts, etc.   That would be far too convenient for phishers and scammers.  Use another strong password.

Change passwords periodically.  Also change the "secret question" often required by a company. 

I'm required to change my mission ICS password every six months.  Another good idea.  It starts to be entertainment, sort of like reading license plates. 

I was surprised to realize I've been with this mission  six months already and I'm still taking baby steps in what we do.   I'm learning. 

The past two weeks have been troublesome and with advancing age that is inevitable.  I prefer to deny, no not me!  Even so,  I think my brain is healthy as long as I keep everything in balance - family interests, the mission tasks, community commitments, exercise, eat well, adequate rest and most importantly, pay attention to my spirit and my body.  I didn't do that a couple of weeks ago and I paid the price of aches and pains like my peers. 

A good day for me starts with seeking the Spirit as I'm awakening.  Today I felt prompted to write this to all of you.  Every day starts with a devotional.  Now that I've done this, I'll do that. 


Best to all of you,

Mom

P.S.
There is something in this for all of you.  I hope you share it with your families. 
Don't let the Boogieman get you!
Isn't it interesting how important "passwords" have become.  Think on that.  Keep all your passords fresh and active.

No comments:

Post a Comment