Saturday, May 14, 2011

DPP letters to a missionary friend, 1968-1971.

Mike Bailey was one of Dad's first seminary students in Moab.  Mike was also the seminary custodian which further solidified their friendship beyond the random gatherings at our home for Rook and popcorn with other students.

Check these out to get a flavor of Dad's chatter with a friend.  Some nonsense and a lot of friendship as Mike left for and returned from his mission to New Zealand and we left Moab and lived in England and Scotland.
Note: Click on an image to enlarge.

Moab, January 1968.  Just keep doing your best, don't aspire to positions, but do your best in this position.

Have a fabulous mission.  Work like a tiger.


February 1968.  I assure you that you have influenced my life as much as I might have yours. . . . the only thing that is really of value therein are the friends we have . . . the family . . . .
Life is beautiful.  Enjoy every moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Now. . . . Keep smiling.  Study Hard. Keep building your testimony. Enjoy people.  Relax & feel comfortable around people.  "Have Fun"

Moab, December 1968.  What could be greater than to be in New Zeland teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to Heavenly Father's children?  You lucky rascal, how fortunate you are.

"Bro. P., Wifie, Mark, Polly, Chris, Boozer, Snow White, Hopper & Charlie Pigeon."

Moab, 1968.  Family Christmas letter.
Moab, March 1969.  How is my old buddy?  . . . I'm doing a little missionary work.  Nothing is more enjoyable.  Seminary is bags of fun.

Moab, May 1969.  We are proud of you're being in the Field doing the Lord's work.  Times come that try us & discouragement comes but hang in there.  Things turn out for those who exersize faith in the Lord & work hard.  . . . .  Keep banging away.  Our prayers are with you.

Billingham, England, August 1969.  You are greatly blessed to be able to work with the companion you have.  You are given a chance to learn things & develop attitudes which can greatly strengthen your character.  It's a priviledge to know the Mission President trusts you with that type of Elder.  Teach him well as it will affect not only the rest of his mission but his entire future.  Good luck.  I know you'll succeed.

Billingham, October 1969.  Big No. 64, So you are on the 1st string as D.L.  Congratulations.  You Big Hummer. 

Billingham, November 1969.  Howdy, old Buddy, How goes the work.  Do you like being an Engineer of Souls instead of Seminaries? ....  We enjoy the Elders here.  The D.L. takes his calls here & come for tea each Saturday.  We are studying together in the morning & playing squash in afternoon.  Great Life.

Billingham moving to Leeds, England, Christmas 1969.  Wifie cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 45 Elders....  Enjoy the Work.  Love the People.

Christmas 1969 air-letter, outside.

Leeds, England, January 1970.  Howdy,  How is the rabbit hunting over there; about like La Sal?  Any of those big Wooley Jumpers like in Australia? . . . You are a good man.  . . . I'll see you get your wages doubled. . . .  Keep banging away, Mate.  Enjoy each day.

Leeds, February 1970.  Greetings, Iron Mike,  Glad to hear you're still baptizing down there.  You seem to be doing a good job.  Keep up the good work & I'll make you Pres. of 5th Hour.  That would fix you. . . . .
Leeds, March 1970.  Greetings, old Buddy,  Happy summer to you, you Toad, Soaking up that Southern Sun, while we freeze.  . . . . We hope to holliday in Switzerland, Germany & Austria this summer.  Got to get a tent & a few things. . . .  Heard from Darrell & He is doing fine up in Denmark.

Leeds, April 1970.  Dear Uncle Mike,  . . .   You face a world of responsibilities & work.  But you thrive on both.  You are well prepared for the future & will have a great life.  . . . Losing your hair yet?  . . . Wifie is expecting #4 in the Fall so we will take home an Englishman. . . . You will never have trouble bagging a girl.  Just make sure you land the right one.  Now don't goof it up.

Leeds, no date, 1970.  Howdy, Big Uncle Mike, The Cockcroach Specialist,   And how goes the war down under the world.  You always wanted to work for the under-world didn't you?  . . . I still live the mission rules.  Up by 6 a.m. or so, study for an hour, exercise, and breakfast over by 8:30.  I like my new companion better than any I had in the mission field.  She cooks a heck of a lot better and doesn't aspire to leadership.
East Kilbride, Scotland, August 1970.  I played a ping pong match down in Kilmarnock Monday. . . .  Missed my old desk top paddle, but still won.  

East Kilbride, September 1970.  Hello Pickle, . . . You are a great Elder & really enduring to the end.  Wifie & I am proud of you.  You get to deal next time we play rook. . . . may have to go home soon, our popcorn ran out.  We brought 48 pounds & we are on the last pound.

East Kilbride to Provo, March 1971.  Just opened your thoughtful April Fools day package of licorich.


Letters are wonderful.  I'm lucky to have these letters that Mike has returned.  I treasure the daily letters from Dad after he returned to BYU until we were married and then  until he came to Pescadores Avenue and moved me to Orem with him.   Some day you'll have to have a read.  They are in a small chest by my night stand.

You each have at least one letter from Dad before he passed away as well as a copy of the father's blessing he gave you.  I also have a blessing he gave me.  All treasures.

You each know how to stay connected -- 

gardening, serving, friendshipping, eating licorice or popcorn or cukes, spending time with the scriptures each day, dumbin' around, playing games with your children,  playing Rook, taking a walk or a bike ride, going camping, fishing, working, sharing a funny story from life, . . . .

Loving the Lord.

I think this, with the blue binder of his writings and his missionary journal you now have, concludes the collection of writings Dad left behind.  I've kept adding to my binder copy as I've come across interesting stuff.

Happy Mother's Day and Father's Day to each of you.  
Enjoy these years of your lives.

"I miss you old Buddy.  See if you can get over to see us."

 And so we shall some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment