Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cousins Brooks and Katie Fry in Kaktovik, AK.

Brooks and Katie Fry. No, this photo is not taken in Kaktovik.
Brooks is Bob and Charlotte's son.  They were with us at Bruce's and Faith's wedding breakfast in Orlando.  At that time Brooks was doing an internship at Deseret Livestock.

This video view of their lives  is really quite remarkable.  I'm a goodreads friend with their daughter, Abi.    

http://www.mormontimes.com/tv/segment/20302/The-church-in-Kaktovik?s_cid=addthis

It takes a minute or so  to get to the footage of their family, but its worth the wait.

The other day, thanks to Polly, I asked Brooks about Abi and what he does in Kaktovik, population, 300. 

Hello Aunt Mary Etta. If your goodreads friend is Abi Fry then yes that is my oldest daughter who will turn 10 in two weeks. She loves to read and since she is way ahead of her class at school her teacher lets her do goodreads in her spare time. School is out for the summer here and the snow is starting to melt so the kids are playing outside a lot more now. We will be moving to Anaktuvuk Pass, AK on Monday. No polar bears like here in Kaktovik but lots of mountains as it is in the heart of the Brooks Mountain Range in Gates of the Arctic NP. Hope you have a good summer. 

I am a school teacher. Kaktovik has a PreK-12 grade school where I have been the PE teacher for the past two years. This last year I also taught wood and metal shop for the high schoolers. Next year, we will be at a new school and village but the same school district. It is also a PreK-12 schooI but I will be teaching high school Health, wood shop, and biology along with PE. I will also be coaching Cross Country and coed volleyball.


Boggles my mind to think about  the isolation, but on the other hand . . . it also reminds me of a family I knew in Brazil who raised their family for quite a few years in a very remote part of Brazil, a fantastic family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment