What a surprise it was this week to open a large envelope and draw out a bundle of Dad's letters. It took my breath away to see letters from him after all these 27 years. They are monthly letters David wrote to Mike Bailey serving a mission in New Zealand. Some of you will remember Mike from our Moab years. He was the seminary custodian after school and a fun friend who came with other students to our apartment to play Rook, eat popcorn and joke around. You also might remember Mike, Barb and their children were visiting us in Bozeman when they got word of his father's death.
In the evenings I've been reading a few letters each day to stretch them out. I've been thinking how to best copy them to add to your collection of Dad's writings. Its a delight to read Dad's typical way of sharing his friendship and admiration of friends in his handwriting, mostly on blue air letters from the UK.
This note from Mike, currently principal of South Sevier High School in Monroe:
Dear Sister Parkinson
The letters are yours. I give them to you. I already have scanned them and I hope to eventually retype them. They do mean a great deal to me, but I also know that they mean even more to you and your family. I have read them many times. I read each one before I scanned it. Brother Parkinson has always been a part of my life. I will always cherish his friendship and example. The way he wrote and the many things we did together and his reminding me of those experiences will always be a part of me. I am humbled that I was part of his life and that he cared about me. To have been a pall bearer at his burial means a great deal to me. To have been called on the phone by him and ask that I participate was a humbling experience. To be in the same company as President Raymond, I am honored. I thank you for sharing him with us. He had more influence in my life than any one individual besides my parents. I hope I can continue to honor his name.
I am so pleased to continue to be part of your life as well. I recognize that the Moab years were short, but it was the time I grew up and my testimony solidified. It was because of DP squared. I love him to this day and always will. I look forward to seeing him again. Tell your family how great a person he was. They already know, but let them know how others loved him. Barbara and I are both so pleased to have known him. He was way to young to leave you and your family, but I also know that the Lord had far greater work for him to do on the other side. You are a blessed lady and your family as well. There will be a great reunion when you all meet again. I will continue to read the letters. I hope to use them as I write my history once I retire. Thanks again for sharing him with us. Love Mike and Barb.
Isn't it amazing how connections with Dad keep popping up after all these years.
Sometimes we think we want things all at once. It seems there are some things that are best acquired from time to time over many years.
Kid Updates
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment