To recap--
Since my missionary service in Brazil 50 years ago, overtime hearing news of people we had taught and had been baptized, leaving the church, I had thought that the only one who benefited from my mission was me--in many and meaningful ways. I've always carried a feeling of loss. That was lifted by the letter from the son of a couple my companion, Norma Mills Shiner, and I had taught in Santos, my first area, 1961.
In the letter from Mauricio Gonzaga, he explained that he is one of four children of Justino and Suelena Gonzaga. He wrote that they now have 24 (now 25--one more was born two weeks ago in South Jordan, UT that I met yesterday.) He wrote that all the descendants are fully involved in the church and sealed in the temple. Six have served/are serving missions in Brazil. His son and daughter are currently serving as well as a nephew. The photos Mauricio sent are beautiful of the family. With his two children preparing to serve missions he had felt a desire to somehow contact the missionaries that had brought the gospel to his parents and to thank them for having answered the call to serve.
What a ripple-effect . . .
As I rummaged through my missionary memorabilia I found a letter to my parents relating something of our teaching experience. We had taught the Gonzagas for many nights until 11:30 p.m. in answering their questions. Saul Messias, our branch president had been a Presbyterian minister prior to his conversion. He was helpful to Suelena, who had been a Presbyterian, in resolving a particular concern she had. The branch members showed interest and support in Justino and Suelena. Sister Mills and I had been fasting and my home ward had also been fasting and praying for our missionary work. They were baptized in the ocean March 12, 1961.
Justino and Suelena are now in Utah until June 10th when they return to Santos. We watched a DVD of their 50th wedding anniversary capturing much of the personalities of everyone. Hopefully we will be able to arrange a time they can meet Norma also. While visiting them yesterday we did a Skype session with Mauricio, his wife and younger son. It was huge to get his letter in January and now it has come full circle to talk with them on web cam.
As I have shared this experience with family and friends these past several months I've felt to add--
"It wasn't us. It was the Spirit that was there that they felt and accepted. It was also the members of the branch that helped to teach and to fellowship. It was the fasting of San Pedro Ward in California as well as our own fasting and prayers. This same thing can happen again and again with all of us. And it does."
To read Mauricio's letter was wonderful, but to actually embrace Justino and Suelena yesterday, to meet some of their family and sense their goodness still, has been remarkable.
Justino and Suelena
Suelena, Kath, ME, Kaue, Marcia
Marcia, her husband and 5 children are living in South Jordan near the Oquirrh Mountain Temple--20 minutes from my home. Marcia served us some warm apple pie as a remembrance of the apple pie Norma and I had made for them in Santos. It has become a tradition in their family. Marie Callendars' never tasted soooo good.
Best for last . . .
#25 in the Gonzaga family.
Catarina--I think, gotta check on that.
12 days old. Isn't she a beauty!
They are all beautiful and I am thrilled. I had to leave after an hour and a half visit. My Portuguese is so bad--my head was spinning. I really hadn't thought anyone had stayed committed to the gospel we had taught. It seems I've had a little glimpse of the joy Jesus has spoken of--of the one.
Here are some of 25 from 2.
I can scarcely take it in.
No comments:
Post a Comment